2 replies to this topic

#1 Punisher

Punisher

"The Executioner"

• Hive Keeper
  • 668 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

** Guide Updated 7/22/13 **

!!! WARNING - DISCLAIMER !!! ** MYSELF NOR DROID-HIVE ARE RESPONSIBLE IF YOU FUCK UP AND RENDER YOUR DEVICE UNUSABLE **

** NO ROOT is needed to perform this flash ** This Does NOT Flash A Custom Rom Or Firmware **

** Objective of this flash is to "Gedify" your Xoom. After successful flash, your device will receive updates from Google, Not Verizon. The 3G/data feature/mode will be disabled and you will NOT be able to use its features. Your Xoom will be a "Wifi Only" device after this procedure ** Not everyone wants to Root, flash custom recoveries and roms. Most people want timely updates......that is the purpose of this procedure **

** This Method is for Windows Only!! Do Not Ask About A Linux Method! I May Post One If I Have The Time. Or You Can Learn to Use The Search Feature Of Google And Scour The Internet For The Method For Yourself **

** VERIFY YOUR BOOTLOADER VERSION - MUST BE ON BOOTLOADER VERSION "1050" ** DO NOT CONTINUE IF YOU ARE ON A DIFFERENT BOOTLOADER VERSION ** YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED **

[*]I have ONLY tested this method using an mz600 with an "Unlocked Bootloader". Unlocking your devices Bootloader will WIPE EVERYTHING from the device and restore it to 100% Original factory Condition.
[*]Backup Your Shit BEFORE you do anything!
[*]I will NOT go into detail on how to unlock your your devices bootloader. It is a simple process......use google for more info.
[*]This Process is for Windows Machines Only
[*]The Method Below is Assuming that Your Bootloader is ALREADY UNLOCKED and that you bootloader version is "1050"

** Things You Will Need Before **

STEP I - Lets Begin - Getting Your Xoom Into RSD Mode

• Extract the VZW_MZ604_signed_IMM76.combo.sbf.gz with your favorite extractor, I use 7zip for this.
  • Install RSDLite that you should have already downloaded.
  • Make sure you have your Xoom drivers installed.
  • After you have done all the above plug your devices usb cable into your pc and device.
  • Again, if you have not done so, verify your bootloader information......if not unlocked and/or on "1050" YOU WILL BRICK YOUR XOOM!
  • Power the Xoom off
  • Now turn it back on
  • As soon as you see the Motorola Logo, count to 3 (1, 2, 3)
  • Press Volume Down
  • On your screen you will see the words "Android Recovery"
  • Press volume down again and the words will change to RSD.
  • When you see RSD on your screen, press volume up.
  • This will boot the Xoom into RSD mode

STEP II - Flashing The Xoom with SBF Image and RSD Lite

• Open RSDLite on your pc
  • Open the SBF file you unzipped earlier.
  • In the lower part of the RSD window, it should show that your Xoom is connected via USB
  • Press Start on the RSDLite program
  • DO NOT TOUCH or CLOSE THE PROGRAM. DO NOT TOUCH YOUR XOOM or CABLE
  • When the RSD status (in the RSD App) changes to "Rebooting Phone", watch for your tablet to reboot.
  • As soon as you see the Motorola Logo, count to 3 (1, 2, 3)
  • Press volume down, then press volume down again until you see RSD on screen
  • Then Press UP
  • The Status in the RSDLite window should change to "Pass"

STEP III - Enter Stock Recovery and Factory Reset Xoom

• Hold down power + volume up at the same time. This will force the tablet to reboot.
  • Do the Count thingy again (1,2,3) and press volume down, keep pressing down until you see the recovery menu.
  • Press volume up when you see the recovery menu. This will boot to the stock recovery.
  • When you see the android exclamation point, press and hold power, then press volume up. This will bring up menu options
  • Navigate the menu using up/down keys. Highlight Wipe Data/Factory Reset.
  • Then press power button. Your device will factory reset and wipe data.
  • After factory reset, chose "Wipe Cache" and press power. This will wipe the cache.
  • When cache wipe completes, highlight "Reboot Now" and press power to select.
  • Your xoom should now boot the non-rooted, stock signed official release of "Wifi-Only build 4.1.2 JKO54K Build of Android. It may take awhile to boot, please be patient......
  • Sign in and setup your device.....

Congrats, you have successfully converted your Verizon Motorola 3G/4G Xoom to a Motorola Wifi-Only Device.

** My time is limited and I will try to help if any issues arise ** I have done this method to my xoom and others with NO ISSUES ** please post if you have any issues **

• Newzabra likes this

#2 Newzabra

Newzabra

• Hive Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

You have solved a major issue i was having so thank very much for posting this awesome guide.  If you want to hear about it continue reading...    I have a 4G Xoom without a data plan. My battery was only lasting about 8 hours.  The culprit was the MobileData process (something with RIL).  I could never figure out why it was eating up so much battery.  I tried booting into airplane mode, disabled GPS and turned off all location tracking options.  I even tried a factory reset and just let it sit without any accounts setup and the service was still crushing the battery.  I thought i might have figured it out when i noticed the baseband version was unknown.  I spent hours trying to flash radios without any success.  Thats when i found your post, completely bypassing mobile data.  Perfect. 

Thanks again. 

• Punisher likes this

#3 Punisher

Punisher

"The Executioner"

• Hive Keeper
  • 668 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

you are welcome sir!  glad my guide could be of assistance.

• Newzabra likes this